The CCW data files were designed to facilitate research across the continuum of care, using data files that could be easily merged and analyzed by beneficiary. Each beneficiary in the CCW is assigned a unique, unidentifiable link key, which allows researchers to easily merge data files and perform relevant analyses across different claim types, enrollment files, Part D event data, assessment data, and other CCW file types. CCW data files are available upon request from CMS. While the file record layouts provided below are the standard file record layouts for all CCW data requests, data may be requested for a variety of cohorts (e.g., specific to a research study design, national 5% sample, specific state or other demographic, etc.).
The CCW claims data files have been streamlined to include only those variables determined by CMS to be of value and useful for research or analytic purposes. The data files delivered from the CCW contain a subset of the original source files. Variables used infrequently or not applicable to a particular setting have been removed. The file record layouts listed below provide variable descriptions, variable format, and length for those variables included in the CCW data files.
- Medicare Fee-For-Service Institutional Claim
- Medicare Fee-For-Service Non-Institutional Claims
- MEDPAR File Layout
Medicare Part D
- Part D Event Data
- Part D Drug Characteristics (Appended to the PDE)
- Part D Plan Characteristics Files, 2006
- Part D Plan Characteristics Files, 2007
- Part D Plan Characteristics Files, 2008
- Part D Plan Characteristics Files, 2009
- Part D Plan Characteristics Files, 2010
- Part D Plan Characteristics Files, 2011
- Part D Pharmacy Characteristics Files, 2006 - 2008
- Part D Pharmacy Characteristics Files, 2009 - 2011
- Part D Prescriber Characteristics Files, 2006 - 2011
NOTE: Useful Medicaid Analytic eXtract (MAX) Data Validation Tables, Data Anomalies Reports, and other data documentation about file content by state and year are available for review on the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) web site.